23 July 2012

Bye Bye Baby Blue....

After much discussion with the hubby and looking over our finances (we were perfectly fine, but can always be better) I caved in and listed my 1967 Chevelle for sale.... Note, this has been my dream car since I was just a little girl and went to dozens of car shows with my dad and mom..... I bought her July 9th 2010 and she was in decent condition for having been barn kept for over 20 years.... She was completely original with matching numbers on her 283 engine, but her body needed tons of work from the rust that had taken over in various spots, her engine needed some love (it ended up with a complete overhaul instead of just fixing one item) her interior was immaculate except for the carpeting that showed wear but no holes. I was quoted $12,000 for an off the frame restoration and had been saving up to do so (I had a 10 year plan with having it done a few parts at a time). Sigh... A day after listing her on craigslist I received an email from someone who was interested in her.... I crossed my fingers in hopes that it was just a scam email and then the exchange of numbers came through, meeting date/time was set, he actually showed up, took her for a test drive and it was all downhill for me from there. We discussed her flaws body wise (engine had less than 200 miles on it and had new white-wall tires), let him know the brakes were in need of being replaced soon, and that I had the rear shocks that needed to be put in but hadn't had the time to go to the hobby shop on base to switch them out... We parked her back at my house and he said he'd buy her, for the exact amount I asked.... I figured I'd believe it when I saw it and two days later the car was paid off and the extra amount was received in a check from his bank.... July 21st I handed over the keys to him... 2 years and 12 days after buying her, she is no longer mine... It was all surreal and it is a sad sight seeing the empty spot where she use to be....

From those funds I was able to pay off our Lowes card (that still had 0% interest rate) and the new camera that my hubby let me get. This means 3 bills were paid off leaving us with $510 more a month to put away in savings. The big sum that was left over after the bills were paid off went straight into our savings as well.... I know what I did was right for our growing family right now, and I know that she went to a good home, to someone that will take care of her and turn her back into the beauty that she was, it is just a little disheartening that I no longer have that "side project" to work toward. The husband was quiet happy with the sale (he did not like the amount of money that was planning on dropping on her over the years). He did say that some day we can buy another one and that the 67's body style did grow on him (he likes the 71 most). I, on the other hand, suggested we co-own a 71 and drop a big block in her years down the road.... I will hold him to this, there is no doubt about that! :) Now she is owned by a Marine on base here, hopefully I will get a few glances of her in passing over time.....





8 comments:

  1. Nice! I parted with a 63 Thunderbird in 2008. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( It's a tough choice letting go of a love like that...

      Delete
  2. Love it& your blog! Newest Follower via bloghop! Would love for you to follow back!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!!! My dad used to drag race in the 70s with a '56 T-bird. After he stopped racing, he kept the car and planned on restoring it, but it needed a TON of work (there was Bond-o all over the body). He ended up selling it, and it was truly a sad day! It was like losing a member of the family. I remember him firing it up, making the whole house rumble, and taking short drives up and down the driveway. The person who bought it has completely restored it, which is nice... but still sad! :( I hope you one day get a chance to buy another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that it went to a good home though! I'm hoping I'll be able to see her completely restored whenever he finishes her. :) Next time we buy it will be when we have time and a big garage to work on it in. :)

      Delete
  4. oh my i could just cry for you right now! If I had my dream car and had to part with it I'd be a mess. You are as tough a chick as I ever saw!! Maybe one day soon you'll have your baby back. Big vintage car lover hug!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks hun.... Some day, some way, we will own another muscle car! :)

      Delete

I Looooove hearing from you!!! And no captcha!!! ;)

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Search

FacebookTwitter Instagram Pinterest email





Follow on Bloglovin

Popular Posts


 
Designed by Marine Wife Mommy Life • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved